Brownies are all the rage on the cooking/recipe related websites and blogs, due to its versatility and ease in the making. But cheesecake swirled brownies seem to have caught on lately, and who am I to deny the fad once in awhile? And really, cheese plus brownies… who am I to resist?!
Over one of the weekends, my parents decided to take a trip back to Penang to visit my grandparents and family. Sadly for me, it’s the week for my thesis submission, and between scrambling to get it done and looking for a job (as I’m soon to be unemployed, no excuse of my Masters thesis to be lazing around anymore), I just couldn’t follow them. To make up for my absence though, I whipped up a batch of brownies to appease my 30 odd family members back at the island.
But then I realize I had a block of cheese sitting around in my fridge. My brain went ‘why not?!’ and the brownies were soon swirled with cheese.
It’s not that difficult to make really, just that extra three ingredients and one additional step of stirring in the cheesecake batter, before you bake it, cool it and slice it as per normal.
My butterfingers resulted in a bit of a disaster though. I took the cake out a little bit early then I was supposed to, and when I turned it out of my silicon pan, found that the middle part of it was still a little undercooked. When I wanted to flip it back in the pan and bake it for a further 15 minutes, my fingers slipped… and half my cake fell to the ground. So what you see in the picture is half of my cake, plus the excess batter that was all out of shape due to being unceremoniously squashed, stuffed in to cupcake liners.
But regardless, the taste was phenomenal! The cheese lended a type of moisture to the brownie that is otherwise difficult to emulate. I saved a piece for myself for dessert the next day. When heated up and eaten with vanilla ice cream… bliss. Trust you me, it’s sinful but every bite is worth the caloric indulgence.
Cheesecake Swirled Brownies
Ingredients for Brownies
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1.5 cups white sugar
- 6 tbsps cocoa powder, unsweetened
- 2 tsps baking soda
- 2 tsps baking powder
- 2/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tbsps white vinegar
- 2 tsps vanilla extract
Ingredients for Cheesecake
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- In a large bowl, combine dry ingredients.
- Combine wet ingredients in a separate bowl
- Pour liquid ingredients all at once with the dry ingredients, and whisk till a smooth batter forms
- Preheat oven to 170C, and pour brownie batter in to a greased 9/13 inch pan
- Leave brownie batter aside, and prepare the cheesecake batter by whisking all the ingredients together until well incorporated
- Dollop a spoonful of cheese in to the batter at a time, and use a fork or a knife to swirl it out. It’s okay if you prefer bigger chunks, makes for a better bite.
- Bake in preheated oven to 30 – 35 minutes, and cool in pan before serving cold, or warm with ice cream.